My Picks


Monday, January 18, 2010

Mayse... You Rock!!


I wanted to give a quick shout out to Mayse. I love you buddy and I am so proud of you! Let me start at the beginning. Last year I went in and met with Maysen's teacher for Parent/Teacher conference. I was told that he was falling behind in Reading and Math. This is after two years of tutoring at four hours a week which was a hard task to complete in itself with the time demand and schedules. I felt I could not win and was at my wits end. It was brought up to me as a possibility that he may end up in resource. I knew that there had to be something wrong and his 3rd Grade teacher had already worked wonders to figure out that he had a non traditional way of learning and tried to nurture that but all in all... he couldn't have her for the rest of his life so something had to be done. At that point, I decided that maybe a charter school was the way for me to go with my children so I put in for the lottery at Ranches Academy and my kids ended up getting in. Logan had to wait a couple months but Maysen got in right away. He never seemed to have problems with his homework and was bringing home good grades but I didn't realize the difference the school had made for him until I ran into his math teacher in the hall one day while Maysen was with me. She came up to Maysen and said, "How is my math whiz?" I thought she was just being positive until she then began to tell me that he was one of the smartest in his math level and she was moving him up to a 5th grade math level and that he sometimes helps tutor the other kids in the class. I was in complete shock. My Maysen? The Maysen I was told needed to possibly be in resource for Math? WOW!! He loves his new school and I love his new school. The education there is AMAZING!!! It has made a world of difference for Maysen and his self-esteem. He has made many great friends! A shout out to The Ranches Academy and to Maysen. Maysen is student of the month for his class this month. They display pictures of them in the classroom all month! Way to Go Mayse! I love you and I am so proud of you!!!

6 comments:

A Twisted Mom said...

Way to go Mayse! You awesome math whiz. Super job! Love ya, Gramma Z

Tiercy said...

Angie, what a great story!!! Way to go Maysen!!! I am so happy to hear such a success story.

Debbie said...

Angie,
That is awesome! I am so happy for you and Maysen, and I am so glad Ranches is working out for you. I knew it was a great school, but didn't realize how well it has prepared my kids until we got out here where school is supposed to be so much harder, and my kids are doing just fine. They do a great job there, and they truly care about the kids. I echo your shout out. And props to Maysen!

Angela said...

Thanks guys! Debbie- How are you guys doing? Are you liking it?

One Blessed Chick said...

Angie, That's awesome! I'm so happy for Maysen and for you, too! Way to go Maysen! Woo Hoo! Eric came in and saw I was on your blog and saw the picture of Maysen and he said "Aww, that's Maysen...I loved him." Isn't that sweet?!? We miss you guys!

Angela said...

Tanya-- aww sweet little Eric. We miss you guys too!! How are you?